To configure Windows server 2008 R2 to load balance Citrix Web Interface 5.x is very simple procedure. The following procedure describes the basic steps involved.
Configure Citrix Web Interface
Open the Citrix Web Interface Management console
Click “XenApp Web Sites” and click “Create Site”
Modify the IIS site settings if required
Click “Set as the default page for the IIS site”
Specify the point of the authentication as “At Web Interface”
Click “Next” to finish creation of the site
Once the site is successfully created click “Next” to configure the site
Specify the Citrix Farm name, Citrix Servers and the XML port
Continue reading “Configuring Citrix Web Interface and Load Balancing with Windows NLB”
Clients disappearing from WSUS Console
Client computers registered in the WSUS console appeared to disappear / overwrite each other. Research revealed this was related to the fact the OS was imaged and the servers had an identical “SusClientID” registry key entries.
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps
- Delete the SusClientId registry key
reg delete “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate” /v SusClientId /f
- Restart the “Windows Update” service
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
- Reset the WSUS authorization. From a command line enter the following command
wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
Automatic Update client unable communicate with WSUS Server – Error 80072ee2
Several computers (all running Server 2008) failed to communicate with the internal WSUS server. The servers were not experiencing any networking problems and there was no firewall blocking traffic. Checking the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log revealed the following error message.
WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr = 80072ee2. Proxy List used: <192.168.1.254>
Researching the issue revealed that Window Update does NOT rely on Internet Explorer’s Proxy server settings (which in this instance were blank) but rather the WinHTTP service. This service is configured via netsh.
- Run “netsh winhttp reset proxy” to connect to Internet directly without using any kind of proxy server.
- Force Update detection by running “wuauclt /detectnow” from a command prompt
Checking the WindowsUpdate.log file again, browse to the end of the log file should start logging entries
2012-02-22 14:17:54:295 780 d5c AU Triggering AU detection through DetectNow API
2012-02-22 14:17:54:295 780 d5c AU Triggering Online detection (non-interactive)
2012-02-22 14:17:54:295 780 1fd4 AU #############
2012-02-22 14:17:54:295 780 1fd4 AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2012-02-22 14:17:54:295 780 1fd4 AU #########
Check the WSUS console after a period of time will hopefully reveal the client server is now able to communicate successfully.
The following commands are useful when
- Open Powershell
- Type “Import-Module servermanager” to import the servermanager module into powershell. Failure to do so will mean the following commands will not work.
- To list the Roles type “Get-WindowsFeature“.
- To install a Windows Role type “Add-WindowsFeature NAME”. NAME refers to the name of the Role listed under the Name column when the Get-WindowsFeature command was run.
- To install multiple Roles at the same time simple put a comma between role names
E.g. Add-WindowsFeature DHCP, Print-Server
- To remove an installed Role simply type “Remove-WindowsFeature NAME”